“Play is the highest expression of human development in childhood, for it alone is the free expression of what is in a child’s soul.” Friedrich Froebel (founder of the concept of kindergarten)
What is life without a little fun!? I love spending time with my family and am always looking for fun and exciting things to do with them. Making family a priority is a MUST! Whether it be just a simple night at home playing board games, riding bikes together, or going out to a movie or sporting event, you will never look back and say I wish we didn’t spend so much time together! That would be silly right!? You will look back and cherish all of these memories. One of my top priorities is also having dinner together as a family every night. Something so simple, yet many times we can look past as not important. Prioritize your family and you will reap the beautiful benefits. Below you will find some ideas to do with your family and you can even invite friends along to join in on the fun. Relationships are key to a happy and fulfilling lifestyle. Create those memories with your family + friends and enjoy your time together! If you have any other ideas you want to share with me please do!
Here are a few fun things to do at home + in the Los Angeles and surrounding areas:
1. Monday Morning Mommy and Me movies 11am at:
- The Grove LA
- Culver Stadium 12
- Glendale 18 at The Americana
- Northridge Fashion Center 10
2. Attend a Concert at the Hollywood Bowl
3. Attend a Free Concert in the Park
4. Have a Picnic at the Park
- Aidans Place (Westwood): Playground, Picnic Areas, Indoor Swimming Pool, Open Grass.
- Balboa Park (Van Nuys): Duck Pond, Open Grass, Picnic Areas, Playground.
- Beaman Park (Studio City): Playground, Picnic Area, Tennis Court, Baseball.
- Calabasas Creek Park (Calabasas): Cute, small, historical, water feature, A recreated Chumash village.
- Dorothy Green Park (On the Beach in Santa Monica): Picnic Area. Playground. Sand. Beach.
- El Dorado East Regional Park (Long Beach): Nature Center, Bicycle Trails, Picnic Areas, Playgrounds.
- El Dorado Park West (Long Beach): Duck Pond, Picnic Areas, Skate Park, Disc Gold, Volleyball, Basketball.
- Gates Canyon Park (Calabasas): Picninc areas with BBQ’s, Playground, Cool Mist Sprayer, Basketball, Tennis.
- Malibu Creek State Park (Malibu): Hiking, Fishing, Bird Watching, Horseback Riding.
- Polliwog Park (Manhattan Beach): Playground, Open Grass, Pond, Botanical Garden.
- Roxbury Park (Beverly Hills): Picnic area with BBQ, Sand Volleyball, Playground, Tennis, Lawn Bowling, Baseball.
- Shanes Inspiration (Griffith Park): Playground, “Boundless Playground”.
- Topanga State Park (Pacific Palisades): Picnic areas, Hiking, Nature walks.
- Travel Town (Griffith park): Train Rides. Museum. Open Grass.
- Tree People (Beverly Hills): Hiking trails, Park Tours, Learn about Tree Planting, Picnic areas.
- Vincent Lugo Park (San Gabriel): Sculptural Playground, Oversized Cement Sea Creatures.
- Warner Center Park (Woodland Hills): Playground, Open Grass, Concerts, Movies.
- Will Rogers State Park (Pacific Palisades): Horse Trails, Equestrian Activities, Ranch Tour, Hiking Trails.
5. Read a Good Book
Visit a Bookstore or Library:
- Books and Cookies (Venice)
- Storyopolis (Encino): Story Times on Tues & Thurs 10:30am (30min) Cost is $5 which goes towards purchase.
- Barnes + Noble (Calabasas): Story Time on Thursday mornings
- Vromans (Pasadena)
6. Visit an Indoor Play Space
7. Go to Kids Club
- SageBrush Cantina (Calabasas) Kid Club Tuesdays
- The Americana (Glendale) Kids Club
- The Commons (Calabasas) Kids Club
- The Lakes (Thousand Oaks) Every Wed & Fri 11am
- Waterside (Marina Del Rey) Every Tuesday 11:15am
8. Go Swimming or Take a Swim Lesson
- Australian Swim School (Tarzana, Orange, Fountain Valley)
- Lenny K Swim (West LA, West Hills)
- Calabasas Swim and Tennis Center (Calabasas)
- Jim Herrick Swim School (Studio City)
9. Discover a New Restaurant
10. Beach Day
11. Go Outdoor Ice Skating in the Winter
12. Learn a New Recipe
13. Attend a Dinner Show or Play
14. Learn to Surf
16. Go on a Hike/Nature Walk
- Find a hike near you
- Another website to Find a hike near you
- Hiking Essentials
- Malibu Creek State Park
- King Gillette Ranch (Calabasas)
- Orcutt Ranch Nature Walk (West Hills)
17. Go to the Farmers Market
Find one in your area or go to one these:
- Encino Farmers Market Sundays 8:00 am until 1:00 pm
- The original (The Grove). Click here for hours.
- Old Town Calabasas Farmers Market Saturdays 8:00am until 1:00pm MY FAVORITE!
- Santa Monica Organic Farmers Market Every Saturday 8:30am until 1:00pm
18. Go to the Zoo
19. Visit a Farm
20. Visit a Garden
- LA Zoo and Botanical Gardens
- Manhattan Beach Botanical Garden (Manhatten Beach)
- Huntington Library (Pasadena)
- Pasadena Arboretum (Pasadena)
- Descanso Gardens (La Canada)
22. Visit a Museum
- Kid Space Museum (Pasadena)
- LACMA (Los Angeles) Go free with anyone under 17 by signing up for NEX GEN
- Leonis Adobe (Calabasas) Special Events during the Summer
- La Brea Tar Pits (Los Angeles)
- Pretend City Museum (Orange County)
- Wax Museum (Hollywood)
- The Getty Museum (Los Angeles)
23. More Fun for FREE or Low Cost
- Brentwood Country Mart
- Santa Monica Pier
- 3rd Street Promendade (Downtown Santa Monica)
- Venice Beach
- Travel Town (Griffith Park)
- Malibu Country Mart (Malibu)
- Roundhouse Aquarium (at the end of Manhatten Beach Pier)
- CDI Early Learning Center (Canoga Park)
- Malibu Hindu Temple (Malibu)
- The Grove (Los Angeles)
- The Americana (Glendale)
- The Lakes (Thousand Oaks)
- The Commons (Calabasas)
- Century City Mall (Century City)
- The Getty Museum (Los Angeles)
- Movie in the park (Woodland Hills)
- Rodeo Drive (Beverly Hills)
24. Other Cool Places
- Get an acai bowl at Sunlife Organics (Malibu, Calabasas, Thousand Oaks)
- Get an ice cream at Sweet Rose Creamery (Brentwood)
- El Capitan Theatre (Hollywood)
- Hollywood Walk of Fame (Hollywood)
- Noah’s Ark at Skirball Center (Los Angeles)
- Arclight cinema
- Take a class, play volleyball, basketball, rock climb at Agoura/Calabasas Community Center (Calabasas)
- Eat See Hear
- Camping in Big Bear
25. Go to a Theme Park
- Disney California Adventure
- Knotts Berry Farm
- Lego Land
- Six Flags Magic Mountain
- Hurricane Harbor Water Park
- Raging Waters
- Sea World
24. Attend a Local Sporting Event
- Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
- Los Angeles Dodgers
- Oakland Athletics
- San Diego Padres
- San Francisco Giants
Fun at HOME:
- Have dinner together as a family.
- Play board games.
- Make a special dessert together.
- Go on a bike ride around your neighborhood.
- Do family devotionals together teaching the kids about important lessons + values you want them to learn about.
- If you have a pool go swimming together.
- Throw the ball around in the backyard together.
- Read books together.
- Learn a new hobby.
- Grow a garden.
- Play tickle time.
- Learn a new recipe together.
- Make popsicles.
- Dance to some music together.
- Talk and learn something new about each other.
I will update this page periodically with more fun things to do as I blog. Have a suggestion? Please share it with me!