Learn

My Philosophy
*I believe in nourishing your body with nutrient dense, real foods that support your overall health and wellness and make you feel great. While most diets can benefit from eating less processed foods, fast food and sodas, every body is different and may not tolerate certain foods very well (Such as grains or dairy…or other foods for that matter). It’s important to listen to your body and if your body doesn’t feel good and your body is saying don’t eat that…then don’t! If you are constantly sick and are battling with illness and disease you can heal yourself from within by the very foods you eat. As hippocrates once said “let your food be thy medicine”. I do believe that organic whole foods are very important to ones diet and choose those whenever possible. I also believe in a healthy balance. I live by the 80/20 rule I would say. About 80% of the time I eat by my rules everyday at home and the other 20% of time when I eat out at restaurants, parties, special occasions or friends then I try to choose the best options. And of course every once in a while I splurge. (I have a sweet tooth!) The best advice though is to listen to your body and adjust your diet based on that.

1. What is Real Food? Food in it’s natural form. Unprocessed. Whole Foods.

2. What is Organic Food? (From the Non-GMO Shopping Guide Website)

  • Prohibit the use of chemical fertilizers, various synthetic substances, irradiation, sewage sludge, or genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in organic production.
  • Prohibit antibiotic and synthetic hormone use in organic meat and poultry.
  • Require 100% organic feed for organic livestock.
  • When the product is labeled “100% organic,” “organic,” or just “made with organic ingredients,” then even the non-organic ingredients cannot be produced from GMOs. For example, products labeled as “made with organic ingredients” only require 70% of the ingredients to be organic, but 100% must be non-GMO.
3. What’s a GMO? (From the Non-GMO Shopping Guide Website)

A GMO (genetically modified organism) is the result of a laboratory process of taking genes from one species and inserting them into another in an attempt to obtain a desired trait or characteristic, hence they are also known as transgenic organisms. This process may be called either Genetic Engineering (GE) or Genetic Modification (GM); they are one and the same.

*GMO’s have been linked to infertility, infant mortality, cancer and tumors amongst other things.

4. What foods to look out for? (Highly recommend to buy these foods Organic)

High-Risk Crops (in commercial production; ingredients derived from these must be tested every time prior to use in Non-GMO Project Verified products (as of December 2011):

  • Alfalfa (first planting 2011)
  • Canola (approx. 90% of U.S. crop)
  • Corn (approx. 88% of U.S. crop in 2011)
  • Cotton (approx. 90% of U.S. crop in 2011)
  • Papaya (most of Hawaiian crop; approximately 988 acres)
  • Soy (approx. 94% of U.S. crop in 2011)
  • Sugar Beets (approx. 95% of U.S. crop in 2010)
  • Zucchini and Yellow Summer Squash (approx. 25,000 acres)

ALSO high-risk: Animal products (milk, meat, eggs, honey, etc.) because of contamination in feed.

Where I Shop:

  1. Wholefoods
  2. Follow Your Heart
  3. Farmers Markets
  4. Farm Fresh To You (Use Coupon Code 6164 for $10 off your first box of organic produce!)
  5. Trader Joes

Other Resources:

This page is a work in progress. I will be updating and adding more information here as I blog

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post:

DISCLAIMER/ SUBMISSIONS